How Loveline Made Me A Better Psychologist

Topic How Loveline Made Me A Better Psychologist

Home Community Personal Stories How Loveline Made Me A Better Psychologist

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    GUNSLNGERofZION
    Participant
    1 pt

I am a Limited Licensed Psychologist (LLP) who’s been counseling clients for over 10 years now.

Early in my professional career, I started listening to all the old Loveline radio shows that were available to download thx to Gio (despite me never hearing a single Loveline radio show or seeing any of the TV show ever before in my life) because I was amazed listening to Adam’s podcast at how quickly Adam could identify various callers issues & aspects of their lives so quickly & accurately even when there was seemingly no indication or sign of these unmentioned details of their lives (at least to me). Adam said he got so incredibly good at being able to figure out callers’ issues & lives because of all the years he spent on Loveline—so of course when I heard this I immediately sought out online every classic Loveline show I could find because I wanted to get as good as Adam with this skill because I knew how much it could help me as a therapist. I think I was able to download about 2,000 episodes and I ended up over the next couple years listening chronologically to all of these radio shows in order three times through all of them. I can confidently say after doing this I am now a vastly better psychologist than I was prior to listening to these old Loveline shows. I am able to better identify the major problematic areas of my clients life & childhood SOOO much more quickly than ever before and I’m almost always correct in exploring those areas of their past.

In addition to classic Loveline training me to be a much more effective psychologist, listening to these old shows also significantly & noticeably improved my sense of humor which even though I’d always had a pretty good sense of humor, listening to Adam compare & make analogies & apply his street smarts to all the many different and often seemingly unrelated things ended up significantly improving my own ability to think of metaphors, analogies, comparisons, etc. on the spot both in session with clients to help them understand aspects of psychology & relationships but also just in everyday conversations with people which I was so surprised by this unintentional positive effect from listening to classic Loveline & Adam that I am still to this day so very grateful to Adam’s mind & Gio’s work to make these shows available to me that I wish I could convey to both of them how much they have positively affected my life and even more significant is the subsequent positive effects that my hundreds of counseling clients are continuing to experience and benefit from which I can confidently say is positively changing thousands of individuals’ lives and helping them live better lives and have better more joy-filled healthy relationships—-thanks in large part to Adam, Drew & Gio and the thousands of classic Loveline radio shows I was blessed to hear.

Thanks so much guys! And to anyone who’s a mental health professional I can’t stress enough how immensely you will improve as a therapist simply by listening to these classic Loveline shows.

– Keith

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #69864 Score: 1
    mrblack169
    Participant
    1 pt

That’s an amazing story thanks for sharing.

I’m not a therapist but I had a similar discovery of love line as you.

I never listened to Loveline or Adam’s radio show. I had heard of Adam just from The Man Show as a kid (ie juggies after South Park).

I heard about this new thing called a podcast and found Adam’s in the comedy section of iTunes when Adam had first started.

In the beginning of the podcast Adam would do those long form interviews that I found fascinating. Eventually he told an old story from his childhood about him and his friends peeing on each other.

I was trying to find that episode of the podcast to play for a friend of mine and I found an Adam Carolla message board where I asked. GIO answered me and that’s how I found GIO Get it On classic love line.

Like you I have been listening to every episode in order and I am hooked.

Just like you, I found it fascinating at Adam and Drew’s ability to identify callers’ pasts.

During a difficult in my life, went to seek out therapy.

If I had never listened to LoveLine, I would have never seeked out therapy or understood how it works.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #69924 Score: 0
    GUNSLNGERofZION
    Participant
    1 pt

That’s really awesome to hear! I’m so glad you did end up seeking out therapy and I hope it was helpful and life changing. When I first began seeing clients as a psychologist I thought if I had a sliding scale for appointment fees that it would allow ppl struggling financially to still be able to get the help they need regardless of whether or not they could afford therapy. I figured this would bring in enough clients that I would still be earning enough money overall that I could make a living wage despite charging clients significantly less per sessions than other therapists in the area. However, I discovered after a few years of doing this that it didn’t actually end up bringing in a bunch more clients.

Around this time I was listening to the classic Loveline shows and I remember hearing Adam talk about how back before he became a radio show host he was working digging ditches & doing construction which paid extremely low wages yet despite barely earning any money to live off of Adam still was able to pay every week for his therapy sessions because he valued his own mental health over pretty much everything else he could have spent his money on. After I heard this, I realized “if Adam was able to pay for therapy even though he had next to no money then pretty much anyone can afford to pay for therapy if they really want to,” and so I switched to a flat rate (still lower than most other therapists in the area) and I ended up getting more clients than ever before. And now whenever I hear someone say, “I would get therapy but it’s so expensive,” I say to them, “Hey, if Adam Carolla was able to pay for therapy back when he was digging ditches then you can definitely afford to pay for therapy.” And you know what? The other person always says in response, “Yeah… you’re right….”

Thanks, Adam!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.